Conversion to EFI : Fuel system

Mitch ozyman at employees.org
Fri Mar 19 14:17:30 GMT 1999

At 09:39 PM 3/18/99 -0500, Shannen Durphey wrote:
>First off, I haven't read any of these books, but Bruce gives
>practical advice, good for following.

Yes.  I like Bruce's advice.  In addition to Knell's way, I am also talking
to a local friend of mine who has done this slightly differently.  So I
want to understand all angles.

>Why not find an EFI factory tank that will fit under the Elky?

I might be able to do this for the Malibu (not the El Camino, it's not
getting the TBI), for considerable cost.  But if I'm going to put a V8 into
a 240Z I'm going to have to solve this eventually.  That's why I call the
Malibu an EFI mule; I intend to experiment on it.

>'Sides, the stock 66 tank doesn't have the charcoal canister
>connections or return line, AFAIK.

Doesn't have any of the necessary lines.  So you remove the sender assembly
and machine new holes.

>  And if you have safety inspections
>where you live, seeing non stock fuel system might make inspectors
>nervous.

Luckily, the State of California cares nothing about safety (unless you
want to light up a smoke in a bar).  All they care about are emissions and
the Malibu is exempt.

Thanks for the replies.

Mitch