Conversion to EFI : Fuel system

Ward Spoonemore spoonie at deltanet.com
Fri Mar 19 17:45:47 GMT 1999

You guys do know there are a lot of cars out there that do not have fuel
return lines, Chrysler, and Ford for example use pressure regulators that
are in the tank.

You may be overlooking the fact that the fuel in the tank will reach
something near underhood temperatures aft a relatively short time. Probably
about 150 Deg F. Common. (but wrong) thinking is that cold fuel will be
coming from the tank, Maybe in the Arctic. Obviously if you circulate a lot
of fuel through a hot environment the heat will transfer.

New car makers have a major probable with Carbon Can systems loading with
hot vapor from the tank. The ECM/PCM will enable can purge when it thinks it
can get away with a period of rich fuel, If you look at the Short term fuel
correction value you can see the engine going very rich until the purge is
done or disabled. using a late Camaro as an example the pressure in the fuel
tank will get high enough to blow the fuel cap out of your hand when
removing the fuel tank cap !

So anything you can do to reduce fuel heating will make the emission problem
more manageable,

Ward