AN stands for??

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Fri Mar 19 23:06:25 GMT 1999

-----Original Message-----
From: Clarence Wood <clarencewood at centuryinter.net>
To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu <diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Date: Friday, March 19, 1999 5:50 PM
Subject: AN stands for??

Be careful with doing things like that.
There is more than one type of AN fitting, wrong yes, but that's the way it
is.  All that are blue+red are not AN.  The tapered areas that seal can be
eith 37d or 45d, and may work for a while, or may fail at anytime.  Once you
go with one brand stay with them.
  The largest selection of AN/AN Type fittings is from Earl's, I beleive
Long Beach Ca.  They have been in the Fittings business since at least the
early 70's.
 There are also, many grades of hose.  Some of which is very specific for
use.
Bruce

>  I am at a loss.  I can not find out what an 'AN' size fitting is/means.
I have found out that 'Boss' is the same thread size.  I can go into a parts
store and ask for a #10 MB (Male Boss) fitting and it is exactly the same as
an AN #10 fitting; the only difference is that the guys in the parts store
don't know what an AN is.  When I took my FPR in and showed them they said
"Ah hell, that's a #10 MB to 3/8 fitting".  Can anybody tell me what the
history of 'AN' is?  Also, what is the history of Boss, and why are they the
same but called different names?