AN stands for??

Gary Derian gderian at oh.verio.com
Sat Mar 20 00:34:51 GMT 1999

AN fittings were originally designed for aircraft hydraulic fittings.  The
dash size is the OD of the metal tube used for that fitting in 16ths of an
inch.  A -6 is a 3/8 tube.  A -12 is a 3/4 tube.  The ID is not specified
but obviously a little smaller.

Boss threads, or O-ring port use the same thread size as AN but seal on an
o-ring placed in a groove machined in the male thread and seals in a
counterbore in the female thread.  These are typically known as SAE O-ring
ports.  The AN nomenclature has been replaced by JIC (Joint Industry
Conference) and is widely used in industrial hydraulic systems.

There is lots more to learn.  I suggest going to an industrial hydraulic
shop and looking around.  Parker  and Aeroquip are well known suppliers.

I have always found the Earls fittings (anodized aluminum) to be very
expensive compared to the industrial type (plated steel).  Earls has good
stuff, its just overkill for my purposes.

Gary Derian <gderian at oh.verio.com>

>>   I am at a loss.  I can not find out what an 'AN' size fitting is/means.
I have found out that 'Boss' is the same thread size.  I can go into a parts
store and ask for a #10 MB (Male Boss) fitting > Clarence