FI fuel line

Jim Yeagley jimyeagley at stratos.net
Sun Mar 21 19:43:19 GMT 1999

>I'm not changing any of the stock fuel rail setup.  I'm transplanting a
3.1L
>v6 from a 92 Camaro into an Opel GT.  The engine still has all the fuel
>system out to the steel tube fittings.

Mike,

If you want to make it a simple hookup to the stock gm fuel fittings, go to
your local gm dealer and get a replacement fuel line for the 92 Camaro, or
any other efi gm car for that matter.  You'll get a straight 10mm fuel line,
with the proper o-ringed fittings on either end for mating up with the stock
flexible hose at the engine, and a standard gm fuel filter at the other.  I
have also been sucessful at cutting this line, and double flaring it with an
sae sized flare nut installed, to convert to sae sized line.  That is, 10mm
to 3/8".  You may need to sand the 10mm line a little to get the 3/8" flare
nut to rotate  freely.  That way, you can use a 3/8" union to attach the
10mm line to standard sized lines and/or fittings.

I found this out because a lot of times during a tuneup on gm fwd cars, the
fuel filter wouldn't come off without twisting the damned line off.  They
were placed underneath the car, and I'm in Ohio, lotsa rust!  Instead of
installing a whole new fuel line front to rear with the special ends, I
would use a short length cut off of the end of the abovementioned fuel line
from the dealer, then using a union and 2 flare nuts from the parts store
would double flare the existing line on the car where it was clean and
solid, and the new length of line with o-ring fitting on the other end.

If I remember right, this line was under $30 from the dealer.  Also, I agree
with everyone about using solid steel fuel lines except for where a flex is
needed, like at the engine and tank.  Someone said they couldn't find any
arguments against using neoprene lines for the whole run, well how about
road hazards?  Remember, roads are full of debris that can be thrown up from
tires that could easily sever a soft line.  Considering the gph of these efi
pumps, your tank could be emptied in no time!

Do it with steel, stay safe!

Jim Yeagley
1996 Dodge Indy Ram
See it and many others at: www.indyram.org
1975 Pontiac Grandville Brougham Conv. (in baskets)
webmaster at indyram.org
jimyeagley at stratos.net