FI fuel line

rr RRauscher at nni.com
Sun Mar 21 22:52:02 GMT 1999

Mike, if I remember correctly, your putting a 3.1L V6 & tranny from
a GM f-body into an Opel Gt? The original v6 f-body's used two nice
pieces of high-pressure flex hose between the frame and the engine.
Feed at 3/8" x 14" long, return at 5/16" x 17.5" long. They are female
saginaw fittings at each end. Soaks up all those vib's from the
engine. I got some in good condition from the local recycle yard.

(I won't go into the need elsewhere for metal, a buuunnnchhhhh of
folks got there already).

What I'm beginning to do, is to use store bought 3/8" double flared
lines. And brass flare connectors. This will allow me to, where
needed, use shorter pieces that I can bend into place. Then, wherever
I need to goto a Saginaw, I'll splice a flared line to a saginaw'd
line with a silver bearing solder. A good 1/2" overlap will not leak
or seperate. (These will be fuel filter and frame to engine connections.

Oh, when bending line, warming it will help make it bend easier, such
as with a propane torch (just not when the fueled-fuel system is open,
I almost blew myself up once, and watch the drop lights).

I will be using some rubber between the tank pickup and fuel pump
inlet. Low pressure (neg actually), there...

Somewhere in the archives there is a list of fuel line sections
that are available from GM. It's the only place that I know of to
get new Saginaw fittings. Let me know if you can't find it. I think
I have a copy around here someplace.

I've been getting short sections with a fitting on one end at the
recycle yard. Just use a heavy pair of wire cutters to snip a
three to four inch piece off. You'll need make sure that it's from a
vehicle that the fuel tank is gone from, or the system has already
been opened. Don't want any of them yard guys mad at ya...

rambled enough, HTH

BobR.

Who's working on his own EFI project, with the fuel system being
the last thing left... (then tuning begins!!!! <g>)