Ceramic Coatings and EGT

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com
Mon Mar 22 16:27:14 GMT 1999

> This talk of ceramic coating sounds really interesting, but where would I
> find more information about this type of thing, as well as who in my area
> (Easton, PA) would do this?  It really sounds like the ticket for turbo
> engines.

I've done my own coatings at the recommendation of an internet buddy, and
found it to be fairly easy.  You need "tech-line" from Summit Racing or a
similar product, and a toaster oven.

Mask the pistons from the compression ring down with masking tape and
newspaper, and apply the techline to the piston top and above the compression
ring on the sides.  I used a windex bottle, but techline is fairly thick, so
take your time.  Once you have coated your pistons the way you like, cook the
pistons in the oven at a temperature indicated on the techline package (450
deg I think) for 20-30 minutes, then let cool.  you might have to sand the
coating on the sides of the piston if it globbed or ran.  I did this on two
engines and the difference was astounding.  Its a real cheap solution to a
detonation problem, and keeps more heat in the chamber where it can do useful
work rather than enter your water jackets.  I did my twin-turbo Buick V6 as
well as my supercharged 3.8L Continental.  Valves, head chambers, piston
tops.

--

Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport CT 06606

1993 Supercharged Lincoln Continental
1989 HWMMV w/turbocharged 500cid Caddy
1975 Dodge D200 Club Cab soon to have 431 stroker + turbos
2000 (I hope) Buick GTP (Mid-Engined Sports Car)