Forced induction temp measurement

dzorde dzorde at geocities.com
Tue Mar 23 01:59:24 GMT 1999

Sorry to be slightly off topic, but I'm trying to do some temperature
measurements for my now supercharged Fiat 850.  I'd like to measure the air
temp before and after the supercharger, to try and size an intercooler
appropriately.

What is the best way to measure the supercharger outlet temp ?  I have two
air temp sensors from Toyota air boxes and I was thinking of mounting these
in the air stream before and after the supercharger.  However, as the outlet
is primarily a 2.5" pipe, will this sensor cause any airflow problems as it
would be protruding into the airstream (around 10mm diameter x 30mm long).
Or should I use thermo couples ? The supercharger blows through the original
carby so I'm a bit worried about using a thermo couple as it could get
sucked through the engine if it breaks off, and I'm about to do the
pipework, so now is the right time to mount the temp sensors.

Efi content, once car runs with intercooler and carby I'll be attempting to
build a crude efi system, probably using the old 555 discussion.

rgds

Dan     dzorde at soanar.com.au