O2 Sensor current?

Thomas Martin marttj at pcmail.css.mot.com
Tue Mar 23 15:26:29 GMT 1999

I have been trying to see what my O2 sensor draws for current.  For an experiment, (
I am trying to make it run slightly richer across the board ) I installed a 10K
resistor in series with the O2.  At idle with or without the 10K I read .57 idle,
hot, closed loop.  That seems high to me.  If I rev it up, the voltage drops to
closer to .4 to .43.  It is somewhat stable, not swinging like I expect.  Is this a
sign of a bad O2?  I am using a DVM to measure.  It is an GM O2 sensor.  (BTW, I have
swapped O2 to another from my 91 Bonneville and have no changes)

What I see is a 1.5mV drop across the 10K resistor, and when I rev it, it increases
to 22mV.  This is a very small amount of current, it this to be expected?

Can someone give me some advice on this system?

The car is a 85 Cutlass, CCC, 77 Olds 350.  The AIR and Cat have been removed (reason
I am trying to richen).  The car runs pretty well.  But when hot there is a nasty
part throttle ping, light throttle, when at WOT or heavy throttle, or at very light
throttle, no problem.  I have been told that if the AIR system is removed this will
cause it to be lean, as the O2 is expecting a certain amount of air to be present, so
it would lean it out then.

EGR is working properly.  I am using an 82 307 intake with the improved EGR tube
extensions.

Am I missing something obvious?  Will the AIR removal or missing Cat cause this
problems?

Thanks for any help!
Tom Martin