valve overlap

Walter Sherwin wsherwin at idirect.com
Tue Mar 23 23:55:42 GMT 1999

>I believe you also want to use the less overlap cam's on a N2O engine,
>for similar reasons.    For my car there is a 224/236-112 cam, and a
>224/236-114 cam, the 114 cam is for blown/N2O applications, and the
>112 cam is for NA engines.  I am running the 114 cam because I want to
>run N20 someday.   I believe the stock cam in my car was somewhere
>around 202/205-117 so it has even more separation.
>
> Roger
> 93 LT1 Z28 (350)

Thanks Roger!  Yup, agreed, N2O and supercharging need much the same, whilst
turbocharging is somewhat different.  Wider LSA spreads apart the IVO and
EVC timing points.  Assuming split overlap,  the resulting "retarded" EVC
helps to crutch a weak exhaust port and aids in the exhausting of  the
additional N2O/supercharge exhaust mass.  If only valves could be opened
instantaneously!   Imagine opening/closing valves  with electronic
solenoids, and computer control.  Infinitely adjustable/variable timing
curves for the entire RPM spectrum!

Walt.