Valve Overlap

John Andrianakis John.Andrian at usa.net
Sat Mar 27 18:49:02 GMT 1999

A system like this is used in the Ford Escort Cosworth rally cars to reduce
spool up time of the turbo. When the throttle is shut the ignition advance
is retarded by about 30 deg and the idle control motor opens all the way to
maintain a rather high idle(1500 rpm?). This leads to late combustion,
mostly igniting in the exhaust manifold without power to rev the engine.
The exhaust gases keep the turbo revs high and when you depress the
throttle you get almost instant boost. The system is very demanding on the
exhaust valves and turbo turbine. For that reason the turbine is made from
inconel- high temp metal(the same as used for the McLarren F1 exhaust
system tubing). Several people have tried to use the system on the street
but the high noise, backfiring and flame spiting exhaust along with the
cost of the damaged turbos makes it not such a good option. The special
turbine wheel  I ve seen costing around $1300.
Mitsubishi rally cars have employed a different system. They have a blow
off valve that directs some of the air through a one way valve directly
into the exhaust manifold. To make use of the extra air in the exhaust
manifold to spool up the turbo the ecu adds fuel when the throttle is
shut(above certain rpm, maybe sensing intercooler plumbing pressure). Along
with retarded timing this creates exhaust gases with no additional power.
The problem is that the system is only effective for a second or two and
mostly between shifts.

On Thursday, March 25, 1999 8:26 PM, Bruce Plecan [SMTP:nacelp at bright.net]
wrote:

> [...]
 And