'747 ignition only system

rr RRauscher at nni.com
Tue Mar 30 17:25:31 GMT 1999

Did some additional testing. This is definately a valid
setup. Here's a list of components that are in place:

Small cap HEI 7-terminal distributor
Coil, manifold mounted
Coolant temp sensor
VSS, optical unit
Knock sensor and filter

I didn't use the TPS sensor, for a more permanent system
it might help to install it on the carb. I'm going to
a TBI system, so I don't want to put the time into
mounting it to the carb.

For the main timing table, I've tried the stock table,
tables that mimic a centrifigual advance only distrib,
and one that Bruce used in one of his vehicles.

They all worked, with differences in idle speed, knock
counts and responsive-ness between them. I also made
some minor changes to the PE values and cold/warm spark
bias's.

In the eprom, I killed the error codes for the O2 sensor,
EGR and the TPS, numbers: 13, 44, 45 & 32 & 21, 22. The
error code the the fuel pump voltage is off: #54, this
is stock for this eprom. I have disconnected the fp relay,
with no error codes. So, it's not needed.

Per the archives, I disabled the EGR entirely (This is
a non-egr vehicle): 1b8 = fd, 1b9 = ff, 1bf = 0

I am getting no error codes, no limp mode, just a solid
ignition setup. It does run better than just the old
normal ignition, as there is better control over the
timing. Timing is added during warmup to help prevent
stalling, the knock sensor and filter are in place to
prevent ping and hot starts work as the timing is backed
down so the engine will crank.

Without the o2 sensor, the ecm never goes into closed loop,
so the int and blm stay at 128. The iac counts change,
but so what, there's no iac!

Backup mode (limp) does work, I put it into that mode
with the scanner, and the car was driveable.

I think I'll throw the bin into 'incoming', this way
whoever is interested in it can take a look at it. Look
for a future post on when it makes it in.

BobR.