Ignition retard knock sensor.

Daniel Houlton houlster at user2.inficad.com
Wed May 26 05:22:02 GMT 1999

Bruce Plecan wrote:

> Your expecting to run 5 PSI boost steady state??....
> I really don't know of anything other than a farm tractor that can do that.
> That is a tremendous load...
> Doc

Well, I wasn't actually expecting to run that steadily, it just
kinda happened once I got loaded down.  Doing 65 on the freeway
empty doesn't do it.  Add the roof rack and it goes to about 2 psi.
Actually put stuff in the rack and load the back up with a few
hundred pounds and it goes up to 4 - 5 (hovered around 4 on the
way there, 5 on the way back.  Big headwind.) depending on wind
and/or any slight inclines in the road.

To say I was a bit concerned is an understatement as I didn't
really know if it's safe to do or not.  It held up fine though
and hasn't missed a beat.

The oil does look very dirty though.  I changed it just before
I left (at about 2600 miles) and now 1400 miles later it's looking
much dirtier than when I changed it before.

Surprisingly, I had very litte problem with knock on the trip,
even when hitting 8 psi or so on the big hills.  In city driving,
if I gas it enough to hit 7 or 8 psi pulling off from a light
it'll knock like crazy a lot of the time.  I just attributed it
to the high speed keeping the underhood temps (and hence intake
air) much cooler than city driving does.  Around town, I drive
with a very light foot, rarely exceeding 5 psi or tripping the
WOT switch (different story) as a result until I get things
ironed out.

--Dan
houlster at inficad.com
http://www.inficad.com/~houlster/amigo.htm