Motronic 4.1 newbie-continued

Derek Kaznoski sweetpea1998 at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 6 01:45:07 GMT 1999

Thanks for the responses so far.

I was able to get the car to idle by changing the position of the flapper
reference along the potentiometer, effectively increasing the resistance for
any given air flow.  This was a bit of a rough idle with near-stalling upon
initial throttle opening.  I noticed that at this "pseudo-idle" the flapper
was completely closed.  Manually opening the flapper just a bit by moving
the potentiometer arm smoothed out the idle and improved the throttle
response.  This was still the case after putting the flapper reference on
the potentiometer back to original setting. Squeezing off the air bypass
hose to the idle speed actuator had no effect on the "pseudo-idle."

>From this, I assume that the idle speed actuator is not letting air in (if
it were, the flapper should be a little open at idle, shouldn't it?).  Thus,
manually opening the flapper allowed in a little air, effectively
"substituting" for the idle speed actuator.

I took off the ISA and examined it. The valve seemed to open and close
without difficulty.  I went ahead and cleaned it with throttle body cleaner
to be sure (thanks Dylan).  I noticed that in the fully closed position,
there was about a 3mm gap present, i.e., the valve is over-rotated past the
closed position.  I couldn't adjust this because the adjustment screw was
frozen.  I suspect that because of this maladjustment the valve doesn't
completely open like it's supposed to (i.e., it's about 3mm less open than
it should be at any given time).  I reconnected the ISA and cranked the
engine while watching it.  It seems to function.  I still think, however,
that it isn't letting air through because of the above reasons.  I'm
planning to replace it.  If anyone thinks this is a bad idea, please let me
know.  Any other input is greatly appreciated.

Again, sorry for the long-windedness.

-Derek Kaznoski
'90 Alfa Romeo Spider