[admin] What next.... (MUST READ)

steve ravet sravet at arm.com
Wed Nov 10 22:12:26 GMT 1999

I have a standing offer from a family member who runs an ISP company to
locate a PC at their office for the purpose of hosting the three
lists+WWW pages.  The only issues would be:

1) aquiring a PC for the list,
2) setting it up,
3) routine maintenance.

1 and 2 probably aren't problems, I'm sure list members could come up
with cash or a machine.  The only problem with #3 is that there's not a
list member located at the machine to take care of problems.  Their
co-location deal includes some sort of timeout reboot, such that if the
machine locks up it'll get rebooted after a period of time.  Hopefully
other problems can be handled remotely as they are now.

They're right on a couple of the big pipes so throughput shouldn't be a
problem (diy_efi can go back to non-digest!).

How does this sound?

--steve

jsg at donet.com wrote:

> ***               direct replies to this email only to             ***
> ***   diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu or myself at jsg at donet.com ***
>
> Huston, we have a problem.....
>
> Since I left OSU about a year and a half ago, we have been fortunate
> in that they (my friends at OSU) have tolerated hosting our mailing
> site. Unfortunately, this is about to end. We have till the end of
> December.
>
> I've made a few inquiries, and I don't see anyway that I can continue
> these lists for less than $2400 a year.
>
> I'm look for ideas or a volunteer to continue these lists.
>
> Currently, the membership is 795 on DIY_EFI, 433 on efi332, and 282 on
> gmecm. Traffic is on the order of 795*17k + 433*10k + 282*80k =
> 40MBytes+ (on heavy days more like 120M) of email a day. List
> functions currently include web w/cgi, anonymous ftp, and mail server.
>
> I'm open to ideas...
>
> john gwynne

> ***               direct replies to this email only to             ***
> ***   diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu or myself at jsg at donet.com ***

Steve Ravet
steve.ravet at arm.com
Advanced Risc Machines, Inc.