Mail server stuff and wide band O2

steve ravet sravet at arm.com
Fri Nov 12 15:01:07 GMT 1999

Condensing many posts into one...

> Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 12:14:00 -0800
> From: Thomas Washburn <thomasw at believe.com>
> Subject: Re: [admin] What next.... (MUST READ)
>
> I've got a Sun server up 24/7 via ADSL that could run the list,
> bandwidth permitting.  I could also help with configuration or
> administration of a co-located machine, if that's needed.

The problem with ADSL (at least the ADSL I have) is the bandwidth.  Mine
is 1.5M/s in, but only 384K/s out.  That's probably the opposite of what
the list server needs.

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 17:24:19 -0500 (EST)
> From: William T Wilson <fluffy at snurgle.org>
> Subject: Re: [admin] What next.... (MUST READ)
> I have a cable modem which I run (exclusively) Linux behind.  The
> bandwidth is less than it would be for a co-located system but more than
> ISDN.  The advantage is that I already have the system, the disk space
> (hundreds of megabytes), and everything already set up, and know what I am
> doing.  That and I already foot the bill.  There should be plenty of
> bandwidth available for a mailing list.  I have a domain too.  A second
> advantage is that the computer is sitting in my basement, therefore is
> easy to get at in case of emergency.
>
> Sorry, though.  I don't have the space to host all of team.net for you,
> whoever mentioned that ;)

William, would there be any problems with your dynamic IP changing?
Don't forget, the 120MB/day figure was only for email, there's also WWW
and FTP traffic.  John says 128k/s is the minimum, which is 10% or so of
most home type high speed connections.

> Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 21:00:54 -0600 (CST)
> From: Eric Clark <eclark at hoser.com>
> Subject: Re: [admin] What next.... (MUST READ)
> I've got a few colocated servers on a T1, but I'm not able to provide list
> services from there. I am willing to provide web and ftp services for
> free,  I am a full time web programmer and can do custom cgi perl or php
> scripts for the site.
>
> I'm still trying to negotiate a place to install a linux machine provide
> mail services.
>
> I use linux both at home and at work and on my servers that run hoser.com,
> and have a lot of experience in this.
>
> I'm also willing to set up searchable archives, I have experimented with
> this in the past so it should be too much trouble.

I'd be interested in what you can do with our archives.  The current
engine is freeWais, and I've had a hard time getting it to recognize and
extract fields from our archives.  It'd be very nice to be able to
search by subject, author, and within date ranges.  A search language
like altavista uses would also be nice.  The archives are huge though,
like 4 MB in size each month, at least before digeset mode set in.  And
that's only diy_efi.  Any database would have to be able to handle large
sets quickly.  Any suggestions there?

> Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 16:57:03 +1100
> From: Mark Atkinson <atkinson at connexus.net.au>
> Subject: NTK UEGO
>
> Just visiting from the efi332 list
>
> Currently I am building a engine management system utilising fully
> closed loop mixture control, none of this open loop at idle or WOT
> stuff. Anyway it will probably use the honda/toyota (NTK) UEGO. From the
> technical papers and patents on these devices they seem pretty
> straightforward. Rather than reinvent the wheel, if there is a design
> for an analog output interface for this device it would be much
> appreciated. Otherwise I will proceed to design and build one, it will
> probably have a non linearized 0 - 2.5V output corresponding to the
> 13:1/20:1 mixture.  If it is of any use to the people on this list, I
> will post the circuit when finished. (just the uego interface) Hopefully
> around christmas.
>
> Thanks to Garfield and others for bringing these devices to my attention
> and posting the pinouts, part no, patent no and SAE paper numbers.

Mark, it goes without saying that there would be tremendous interest in
a wide-band O2 sensor.  I don't think you would have any problems
getting a group buy together for a discount on parts, boards, etc.

--steve

--
Steve Ravet
steve.ravet at arm.com