DIY_EFI Digest V4 #639

William T Wilson fluffy at snurgle.org
Fri Nov 12 21:22:48 GMT 1999

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, DIY_EFI Digest wrote:

> William, would there be any problems with your dynamic IP changing?
> Don't forget, the 120MB/day figure was only for email, there's also
> WWW and FTP traffic.  John says 128k/s is the minimum, which is 10% or
> so of most home type high speed connections.

I'm surprised the WWW/FTP traffic is so high.  I had no idea :}  Is that a
peak use or an average use?

The system that would be doing the hosting is just a Pentium 166.  It's
got relative buckets of RAM (128MB) however.

The IP address never changes.

Another word: It is absolutely irrelevant whether FreeBSD or Linux (or
Solaris) is used for this purpose.  FreeBSD was more stable than Linux...
in 1995.  This is no longer true, both of them are now quite bulletproof.
I have been using Linux since 1996 (including as the sole operating system
at an ISP) and have managed to crash it a total of once (while pushing the
limits of some hardware drivers).  I've actually had more disk failures
than OS crashes.  End of holy war. :}