DIY_EFI Digest V4 #640

Clive Apps Techno-Logicals 416 510 0020 clive at problem.tantech.com
Mon Nov 15 07:50:51 GMT 1999

> For a mail server I would tend to spec something other than a Celeron -
> nothing against the Celeron, I sell a lot of them - but it is not targetted

BZZZT
thanks for playing
the C500 outperforms the PIII 500 in intel's own tests
at 1/3 the price

> of 128MB of RAM. 256 is better. Use Linux if you like, but the robustness

yes
more ram is better
but a linux server does not need the kind of ram to do the same job as
an NT box would
128 would be lots (don't forget to use the install parameter for large ram)

> and ease of administration of an NT small business server can't be beat.

NT SBS is a "crock of poo"
nowhere near the stabilty of a properly setup linux system
and not as easy to administer remotely
I wouldn't want to depend on it for a critical application, especially on a
remote site

> Full remote admin over the web in your browser. By robustness I mean throw

assuming the machine is functional enough to run http etc.

> in 2 18GB UDMA ATAPI (ide) drives, mirrored, and even hear in Canada with

total crap
never run a server that requires more than 3 concurrent accesses on IDE
it can't keep up
I would never run a server on IDE
9 GB LVD SCSI IBM drives cost ~$300 US here
6ms access times and ultra reliable

> our CanukPesos the storage component is only about 500 clams. That is with
> top line Fujitsu drives - if you want to use WD or seagate the price may be

Fujitsu is one of the cheapest drives / size around
Most reliable: IBM hands down
I have NEVER had an IBM drive fail during it's service life

> lower, but you only get what you pay for. Buy a good brand name
> motherboard - I use DFI and won't touch Acer, Asus, or Gigabyte. Don't

more crap
I tried DFI stuff once
I bought 6 of their highest end dual pentiums at one time
during the 1 year warrantee period 9 out of 6 went back for replacement
yes 9 out of 6 -- some required multiple replacements

I only use Asus or intel boards in critical systems
they work

> nickel and dime the small stuff - the difference between "real good" and
> "dung-pile" is only a few percent overall. Excellent may cost significantly

most of the time
the best:total total crap is usually about 2:1 price but still not worth
saving the money for the amount of pain it causes

> more. Get a good fast ATAPI CD - I'd go for a CDRW and use it for archiving
> as well. More durable than tape. You don't need fancy graphics or sound.

SCSI 40x cds good name brand ( I use Pioneer or Toshiba)
tape backups Sony or Exabyte scsi

Clive