the NT idiot's comments in Re: DIY_EFI Digest V4 #640

Ned Williams willian at sti.imshealth.com
Mon Nov 15 21:21:04 GMT 1999

> more. Get a good fast ATAPI CD - I'd go for a CDRW and use it for
archiving
> as well. More durable than tape. You don't need fancy graphics or
sound.

I have never seen so much horse pucky. Strictly speaking as the
Administrator of a Prism3000 based network backup enviorment
to even propose the CDRW is as this guy puts it "more reliable" is so
far from the truth its not even funny. The real world is more like this,
the life of a write head inside a cdrw drive is somewhere around 2 years
MAX under heavy usage aka archival work. The life expectancy of a DLT
tape drive is around 5 years up to 10 if your archival is weekly not
daily. As far as durability another load of BS. cdroms are suspectbale
to all kinds of damage,dirt,heat,scratches etc etc. Tape is pretty much
magnetic and physical damage. a lot more durable than cd's will EVER
be.It shocks me how
unaware some NT type really are about the REAL world.

--
Ned Williams
UNIX Administrator