Spark retard for EEC-V (DIS)

Posea, David G, SITS dposea at att.com
Fri Nov 19 12:41:48 GMT 1999

has anyone thought about building a programmable retard unit for a DIS
ignition. Hopefully one with boost retard built in. I've started developing
some PIC code, but I'm not an electronics type. There seems to be two ways
to go. One is to intercept the crank trigger. It has 35 teeth and one
missing one, for a pulse every 10 degrees. That makes writing the retard
code a little tricky, as more than 10 degrees of retard would span pulses.
The other way is to use the coil triggers as inputs. I'm not sure if 4
identical chips should be used, or if one chip should process all inputs.
Does anyone have any ideas on which way I should go. I'm a programmer by
trade, and the PIC assembly language is pretty easy to work with. Any help
you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

David Posea