How completcated does Efi HAVE to be?

Ade + Lamb Chop alaw at mrc.soton.ac.uk
Fri Oct 8 05:30:53 GMT 1999

At 05:00 06/10/99 -0400, you wrote:
>>I am into minis, something a lot of americans probably won't have even
>>heard of never mind seen! Up until recently minis had single point throttle
>>body injection. You can pick up the inlet manifold, throttle body with the
>>following sensors, The system is a MAP system. I was just wondering how few
>>sensors I need to make it work. Make my own ECU and keep it simple.
>>Calibration would be done on a dyno using a lap top. No need for a Heated
>>o2 sensor, don't need it to learn really.
>
>There is a EFI Control System called the Alpha-N which calculates air flow by
>measuring only engine rpm (via coil) and throttle position via a Throttle
>Position sensor.  Pros are simple installation and compatible with radically-
>cammed engines.  Cons are no closed-looped operation, inferior part-throttle
>cruise metering and entire fuel map must be reprogrammed.  A MAP can be
>optionally
>used but mainly as a input for barometric pressure for different altitudes.
>This system is used for racing or heavily-modified street engines with big
>cams and low vacuum.

What about coolant temperature for a 'choke'? I am not bothered about
closed loop stuff. I am used to carbs. I would just be nice to be able to
plug a serial lead into it and tweek the mixure and the throttle pump
rather than filing needles and changing the oil in the dash pot (Su carbs).

Thanx,

Ade