DIY_EFI Digest V4 #572

Vinny Jaeger WhistleBlowers at bigpond.com
Mon Oct 11 08:51:46 GMT 1999

Date: Monday, (10/11/1999 for those in US)
From: Ken Thompson   kent at superflow.com.au

Subject:
1.    Free CAD drawing package.
2.    More O2 for that altitude fire. "Phil + John"
3.    Engine breathing and air flow in general.
4.    Windows 2000 warning.

Hello All,

******************* FREE CAD ***************************
"PC Authority Magazine" (Australia) www.pcauthority.com.au gave away a
full copy of TurboCAD version 5 in the June 99 issue. The magazine costs
$5.95 ($3.80 US?) and for $6.00 US a swag of extra libraries
can be purchased from the manufacturer. PC Authority do provide back
issues, so it is still available. I did not go for the extra libraries
because
we use DesignCAD www.designcad.com  Our neighbour in the next
building over has been using TurboCAD since this freebie came along and
they reckon that it is pretty good. Another associate just paid
$6,500.00 AU or so for AutoCAD and I really can't see the value. Our
DesignCAD Pro 2000, does more with less clicks than I see AutoCAD being
able to do.
*************** More O2 please ******************************
33 foot propellers? That must be one big mother of an aircraft? But 650
hp doesn't sound like enough to drive even the starter motor of such a
monster.
ONLY JOKING!
That 10,058 mm prop must be part of your test stand, or your pilot must
sit about
22 feet off the ground in his / her cock pit? I have seen many systems
where engines
are mounted on platforms, but surely 30 feet above sea level is not much
of an altitude simulation? I guess a good reason for using a 30 foot
tower, is that "it was
already there" and you did not have to build it, or better still, pay
for it.?
I would have thought that testing a little closer to ground zero would
have been more
convenient, given the torque / speed envelope available at the crank? or
gearbox? I can think of easier ways to do that job. But if the tower was
already
there and you did not have to pay for the tower / props etc, then the
solution used was
quite fine. Come on Phil, you have got me tuned. You have wet my
appetite
with a small volume of data attached to a tall prop story.
A 30 foot centre height with an extra 16 foot 6 six inches above that,
to the blade tip.
Watch out all you low flying black birds, Momma Mixmaster is coming to
get you!
WHY 33 FOOT PROPS?
Between yourself, Foetinger, Carl Schenk and Froude, there must have
been a prettier way?
The subject that is being tugged at here, won't be turned into truth by
personal opinion.
An over night calculation won't hold up. There are enough papers
available
on this subject, if used in an open fire, to warm a home in Antarctica
for the next 10,000 years.
A friend, Ray Hall www.turbofast.com.au knows all about the effects of
altitude on
internal combustion engines. Rays firm fits turbo chargers,
intercoolers, aneroids etc
to new commercial diesel Toyota Landcruisers, which are then exported to
Indonesia, for the sole purpose of carrying gear, parts, men etc from
sea level, up the side of
a 15,000 foot mountain. This is real mountain goat stuff. Last time I
looked, Ray
had some interesting data on his site on this altitude question.
TURBOFAST also builds 1500 HP race boats that have won most races they
have entered, including US and European races. Check it out for
yourself.
                                 ***************
Any decent dynamometer data system will correct for Temperature (I like
transducer in
the manifold = MAT), barometric pressure and of course humidity. We do
not directly
worry whether testing is carried out on top of Everest or below sea
level at the bottom
of the Kalgoorlie Super Pit. Knowing the test cell air temperature is
great, but knowing
MAT is better. Your lecturers will refer you to the right papers, or the
SAE data base is
the place to start when seeking good data on this subject.

************* Engine Breathing and Wave Action **********************
Go to ftp://ftp.superflow.com.au and download "Dynomation.ZIP". Then
print the
users manual. There you will find a reference on wave action / induction
tuning,
that will most assuredly help (us) all to better understand engine
breathing.
Can also be downloaded at www.audietech.com  On the FTP site there is
also an
interesting program called "SpringMaster" which is designed to reveal
the RPM at
which springs will surge and valves will bounce.

***************** Windows Warning **************************
We Australians have it, you Americans are soon to get it.
When one buys a Win2000 product here, it comes with a time bomb. After
installation,
one is permitted to fire up one's own software but 50 times, then over
it falls. The cure
for this circus is to log on to the Microsoft site and press the
"register now" icon within
the new program that you have just paid dearly for. You see Bill wants
to take a good look
at your registry (I guess)? This is a question and NOT a statement as
you can see.
If we Aussies go like sheep to the slaughter, without objection, then
you all best get ready
for some of what we've got.

******************** Our Reply to Billy Boy*********************
We have "Red Hat version 6", running on one workstation and "freeBSD" on
a server. I have
just ordered a free SUN SOLARIS operating system (for Intel).
www.sun.com/solaris/freesolaris.html and
will soon start testing the FREE "Star Office" office suite, which is
also sourced from
SUN. It appears as though, STAR will do all that Microsoft can do, but
at very much
"the right price". Soon we will no longer have to put up with Bill
and his bull.
When interfacing a PC to a remote logger / control system via TCP/IP,
who cares what operating system is used? So long as it is reliable
and fast!

Regards,
Ken.

Superflow Engineering is located within the Commonwealth of Australia,
we have no relationships with any foreign companies.