MAP Sensors & Pushrods

crash70 crash70 at epix.net
Mon Oct 11 23:17:27 GMT 1999

With all this talk of MAP sensors, I have to ask the question: What is the
best way of measuring incoming air on an engine? Flap doors are obviously a
huge restriction. Hot wire and film sensors seem like a good method, but
MAPs are TOTALLY unobtrusive on the intake system.

I've noticed that the majority of American cars use MAP sensors, as well as
newer Hondas. European manufacturers seem to favor the film or wire sensor.
Is it an economic issue, like the American resistance to ditch pushrods?