98 Golf TDI MAF sensor

David Rhoads rhoads at adi.com
Tue Oct 12 13:07:36 GMT 1999

I was given a left over from someone elses car project.  It is a MAF
sensor from a '98 VW Golf TDI MAF sensor and engine harness, it's never
been used.  I would like to use this to measure mass air flow rate on
another small engine but have had trouble finding a pinout and signal
discription for it.  I have access to a flow bench so that I can map out
the signal/air flow to understand what I'm seeing when I hook it up to
the engines air intake.  Can any of you help me out?

There are 4 wires coming from it and the colors are:
light blue
light blue with brown stripe
yellow with black stripe
purple with red stripe

The 2 blue wires are twisted together.  Could these be the signal
wires?  What kind of signal, pulse or analog?  I'm tempted to think the
yellow/blk is ground and the purple/red is power, but would power be
Vbat or 5V?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
. David Rhoads II