DIY_EFI Digest V4 #583

Todd Israels israels at mnsi.net
Sat Oct 16 13:38:39 GMT 1999

At 05:00 AM 10/16/99 -0400, you wrote:

>DIY_EFI Digest       Saturday, October 16 1999       Volume 04 : Number 583
>

>Hello all...my name is Doug Dayson...I live in the San Francisco Bay Area in
>CA...I'm a musician/audio engineer/producer and software engineer by trade...
>
>I'm currently researching converting my modified 71 Corvette Coupe to
>EFI...mostly because I run around with a club of people with newer Vettes
that are
>injected and when we get into higher altitudes I can't compete w/o rejetting
>(which is a hassle) so...
>
>The Vette weighs 3200lbs with a half a tank and no driver...it has a
"stock short
>rod" 406ci/375hp small block chev with TFS Aluminum Heads...Edlebrock
>Performer Manifold and modified Q-Jet carb...1 5/8" X 3" headers...hyd flat
>tappet cam timing is 218 @ .050 with a 110 LSA and .485 lift...it currently
>makes around 450 ft/lbs at 4000 rpm and 375 at 5000 rpm (all gross at the
>crank)...BTW it's already been converted to HEI ignition...

	The easyest conversion is a complete drivetrain swap from an EFI car, all
parts are matched and work well toghther.  You can get a VERY complete
setup from some wreckers, but most are butchers and will damage or lose
many parts.  A very good source is buy a wreck off an insurence company
before the wreckers get at it.
	If that does not work out for you and you want to keep your current engine
I think a GM 454SS throttel boddy and GM truck ecm should provide the
airflow needed and the ecm has been well hacked so it is not too difficult
to tweek for your engine, anthough I expect the stock callibration will
start and run fairly well It will not be a perfect calibration.  The TBI
uses less fuel pressure ans most if not all of your carb plumbing should be
reuseable.  If you are really lucky you will alredy have an in tank fuel
pump that is the same body as a tbi pump so all that is needed is a pump
change.
	There is a GM ECM list that may be of more help if you decide to try this
setup.
					Best of luck
					Todd Israels