Multiport Injection setups and Design

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Fri Oct 22 23:40:54 GMT 1999

> Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 16:57:35 +0000
> From: Ned Williams <willian at sti.imshealth.com>
> Subject: Multiport Injection setups and Design
>
> Howdy everyone,
>
>     I'm new to the list so please ecuse any mishaps on this post,my
> first. I am in the process of fabricating a multi Port fuel injection
> for Full Size Jeeps that are equipped with the AMC 360 or 401 engines. I
> have been in contact with several efi and dfi vendors,and currently have
> a metal fabrication discussion going on with one of the design engineers
> over at Holley. What I was wondering, was a while back on one of the
> little jeep(cj's and wranglers) websites someone coverted a amc straight
> 6 to EFI using a system off a chevy astro, the ECM was reprogrammed for
> him by someone off this list. So I am curious has anyone attempted such
> a ecm reprog on say a Ponitac ECM out of a 90 an up v8 based Firebird/TA
> or a 90 and up Camaro or Vette? At the current time I am thinking of
> using as much as I can from a 94 camaro I found junked, I would like to
> use the injectors,ecm and as much of harness as possible, based on
> intake spacing I already know I will need to fab my own fuel rails and
> mod an existing manifold. Due to the fact that I am on a limited budget
> been considereing using a stock jeep v8 intake, they are very basic
> spread bore designs with a single plane underneath. My current thought
> is to machine out the spread bores,leaving an open faced single plan
> manifold.
> For my air valve the Holley engineer suggested using an old quadra jet
> and removing the venturies, which is what he did on his own custom
> system.
>
> any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome
Sure.  For a port setup, you could use a 2bbl throttle body from a
port fuel injected Cadillac, and a Holley 4bbl to GM TBI adapter.
This will give you a nice start.  The 90 Camaro tpi engine uses a
1227730 ecm, and there is tuning software available for it.  There are
injector sizing formulas and lists available in the archives, on the
ftp site, and around the web.  In fact, you should spend some time
searching the archives for info, as there is a plethora of it
available.  One member has adapted a tbi setup to his jeep, along with
an early pickup computer.  This may be the simplest, fastest way to
get a taste for efi swaps.  Happy hunting.
http://efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu/diy_efi/
Shannen