Converting a Performer manifold and TBI to TPI...

David Sagers dls2867 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 25 14:57:25 GMT 1999

Steve

I was trying to do the same thing a while back, the injectors in the
Edelbrock TBI to multiport conversion, according to an Edelbrock tech, use a
very small voltage or (ohm? can't remember the difference right now) so that
the TBI computer which is made to drive two injectors can drive eight
injectors without frying the computer or the injectors.  I seem to remember
that the injectors are smaller in diameter than stock units so they won't
fit in a factory GM EFI manifolds.  Currently the injectors come in two
sizes, about 20 lbs per hr and the larger 29 lbs per hour.  Edelbrock says
the they successfully run a 502 BBC with the big injectors.

The conversion kit includes a card that requires you to give them a lot of
info about your engine, cam exhaust, etc... so they can provide the right
chip.  That is if you engine is stock or pretty close, otherwise they will
direct you to someone to make the chip for a bigger cam or what ever you
have that is outside of what they will sell over the counter.  Liability,
emissions and all those other concerns prevent them from selling chips that
work with modified engines.

If you are really good at drilling you can make jig to hold your manifold
and drill it for injectors, then either weld or epoxy in the bungs to hold
the injectors.  Force Fuel Injection   http://force-efi.com/  sells these or
you can pay to have Force make the conversion for you, about $600.  One
thing to consider is that if you are going to use a solid fuel rail all of
you injectors must be at the same angle and at the same height. If you look
at the runners on a Performer, or any other dual plane intake, intake you'll
notice that runners next to the head are various heights.  Consider a
Edelbrock Torquer intake as all the runners next to the head are about the
same height.  Even though the Torquer is a mid range RPM intake,  the EFI
will really tame it down and you'll have some very strong low end power and
throttle response.  About a year ago I read an article in a 4 wheel magazine
that described using a Torquer converted to EFI on a rock crawling jeep.
The bottom end power was very strong as the EFI does not depend on air flow
to draw the fuel out of the carb.  If you use the Performer, consider making
your ow fuel rails/lines out of some high pressure fuel line.  Another
option is something I saw in the PAW catalog.  I think it was a Weiand
intake that is made to be converted to EFI. It has the pads and the fuel
rail towers cast in and would save you a bunch of time and money.  You'd
still need to drill and weld the injector bungs.  Cost is about $250 from
PAW.