EFI conversions on an intake

Frederic Breitwieser frederic at xephic.dynip.com
Mon Oct 25 21:40:07 GMT 1999

> with injectors removed as the throttle body...  Am I smoking crack?

Nope.

> Has anyone done this?  Would it work?  If you could burn your own
> chips/reprogram the computer to compensate for changes...  Would this work
> on a 383 SBC?

Drilling and milling an intake is much easier than I thought, you can
see my mopar equivilent at http://xephic.dynip.com/dodge/383intake.htm.

There is nothing stopping you from doing this to almost any intake at
all.  I found aluminum to be easier to machine with a drill press.

As far as programming, depending on the injector drivers in the ECM, you
might be able to just rewire, and use smaller injectors.

Lets say your TBI has two injectors in the throttle body throat - 80lbs
each at 45psi.  If you go the TPI route, meaning one injector per
cylinder, you would take 160lbs (80lbs @ 2 injectors) and divide by
eight, and get 20lb injectors.  One per cylinder.  If the injector
drivers of the ECM you have can support the additional load of the
injectors wired in parallel, you'd be okay.  You might have to figure
out if the TBI system fires both injectors at the same time, or
alternates them, I've seen it done both ways both OEM and aftermarket,
but the theory is four injectors go to the wires for the left TBI
injector, and the remaining 4 injectors go to the right TBI injector.
Then, its a matter of figuring which injectors to wire to which side,
based on firing order (firing before the valve opens is a good thing!).

Something like that.  Or, you can use a junkyard ECM from say, a camaro,
firebird, monte carlo, and use a chip editing software available on
DIYEFI and make your own program.

A lot of us are doing that.  The pictures I linked above show my
converted intake, which will be managed by a bank-firing SYTY ECM
(1227749 I think).

Good luck.