Converting a Performer manifold and TBI to TPI...

Doug Dayson djdayson at ix.netcom.com
Wed Oct 27 04:56:10 GMT 1999

I too was pondering this...I'd think that it really wouldn't matter if the
carb manifold was operating wet flow or dry flow...VE and Cylinder Filling etc
would be the same regardless...and the MPI will of course improve the fuel distribution...

However...in talking with Arizona Speed and Marine they suggested that a
single plane is better suited for a dry flow intake...even with a mild cam...

I don't see why though (except that the individual runners flow rates are
better matched in most single planes)...if it's a wet flow intake then the
high rise dual plane would certainly perform better when cam timing is
shorter...let's say 230 @ .050 and shorter hyd flat tappet in a 350 to 400 ci
Chevy SB...if you then convert it to MPI the only change is the lack of fuel
in the air stream...it seems that the highrise dual plane should still perform
better at these milder engine speeds (below 6500)...

What am I missing...I would think that this new Edlebrock Performer RPM Air
Gap would be the best street manifold to convert to MPI for use with milder
cams such as above...the power band is 1500 to 6500 or so for a 350ci...and
the Air Gap design should help to cool the now dry air flow that is missing
the cooling effects of the fuel...it should be even better if a heat reducing
coating is added to it's bottom...and if it's used with a lifter valley shield...

Shouldn't it?

Am I missing something?

Comments?

Thanks...Doug