DIY_EFI Digest V4 #507

neilaura at accessworldnet.com neilaura at accessworldnet.com
Sun Sep 5 13:58:14 GMT 1999

>>If I could find a "cheap" set of Del'orto carbs and manifold, the last
>>thing I would do is hack into them! Where I come from, a USED set of
>>45MM  Del'ortos (the size recommended for this engine) with the right
>>manifold for my engine cost over $900 US, Used and NOT rebuilt... Now,
>>I'll admit that I didn't do MUCH looking, but I've got one company that
>>would LOVE to sell me a pair of 45MM Del'ortos with manifold... for $1400
>>US!

Another throw-away idea.
Use the butterfly part of a Q-jet carb. If you are un familiar with Q-jets,
the carb splits into 3 major sub assembley's.
The part with the butterflys is an aluminium plate about 6" X 6" and 1/2"
thick. Has a primary side of approx 40-50mm and a secondary side measured
in yards. Should be real easy to cut in half to give dual 40-50mm
butterflies with a centre of about 4", it has the added bonus of an air
idle adjustment already fitted.
The very best part is there are literally millions about and are either
free or real cheap.

Neil