Low impedance waste spark coils?

Peter Gargano peter at ntserver.techedge.com.au
Wed Sep 15 06:47:06 GMT 1999

> Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 09:46:07 -0700
> From: "Clay Buccellato (Anthony)" <claybu at sr.hp.com>
> Subject: Low impedance waste spark coils?
>
> Does anyone know of a good source for hot, low impedance,
> distributorless coils?

I just got my (old 1500 flat 4) Alfa-Sud going with the two coils
from a HONDA CB1000 (from a motorcycle wrecker) using MJ10012
driver transistors and an optical distributor (well, now just sensor)
of my own design. Each coil is mounted beside a head, so one plug
lead is about 3 inches long and the other is about 30 inches.

These coils are less than 4 ohms (does this constitute low
impedance?) and are just perfect for the job. They are actually
made in Japan by "TEC" and have type number "FW82-TR1". The CB1000
assembly also had 2 nice brackets I used unmodified, and another
requiring a bit of hacking. The mounting also acts as a heatsink,
although I don't think heat buildup would be a problem.

Interestingly, I seem to have a lot less AM RFI with this
setup (what? no-one listens to AM anymore!).

regards,
Peter Gargano