Electric Superchargers...

William T Wilson fluffy at snurgle.org
Wed Sep 15 22:38:52 GMT 1999

Any sign of a non digest mode yet?

>From the "fluffy's stupid idea files"...

We've all (or many of us) heard/read about the "electric superchargers"
that have been marketed recently, these are devices which connect to the
intake and blow in air - but they are electric powered.  They typically
run for short bursts of time to provide just a little extra grunt when
needed, and usually on naturally aspirated engines, especially diesels.

Well, has anyone thought of doing this *right*?  Install additional
alternator capacity to support running the unit consistently.  Put in an
intercooler, etc. to support higher boost levels, like a real turbo.

Such a system has the following advantages:

1) More fuel efficient than a supercharger

2) Very little turbo lag

3) Very precise and simple control of boost (electronic control system can
directly vary impeller speed to control boost)
3.5) Knock sensor system can now reduce boost as a way of preventing
detonation!  Oh happy day.

4) No parasitic drag when not in operation; relatively little even under
boost

5) Can build boost on the line even with manual transmission, for drag
racing, or at low RPM, for road courses/autocross

6) Easy to install.  No need to fuss with the exhaust.

I can think of the following disadvantages:

1) Current electric superchargers may not have sufficient duty cycle
and/or airflow.

2) Alternator drag/battery drain may be more than I expect.

3) No kits available for this.  Do it all yourself.  Need an ECU that can
understand what's going on.

4) No one else is doing it, so there must be some obvious problem that I
haven't thought of.