OEM car ECU on motorcycle

Buchholz, Steven Steven.Buchholz at kla-tencor.com
Wed Sep 22 20:39:20 GMT 1999

	Hello all, I have tried to read as much as I could find from the
archives and the library but I still don't know... Can I pull an entire
EFI system with the ECU and adapt it too my 600cc motorcycle engine? It
seems that so much can be done but I don't know my head from my arse when
it concerns electronics and computers.
 If this can be done, what is the best way to do this? I was thinking of
just going to a wrecking yard and pulling the entire system off another 4
cylinder car. The manufacture doesn't matter I just want maximum
performance, thank you in advance for any help.

While it is possible to adapt a vehcle's EFI system to a motorcycle
application, I think that based on your comments I wouldn't recommend it.
An EFI system doesn't automatically provide maximum performance, it has to
be developed specifically to do so.  One of the biggest things you're going
to have to figure out is how to adapt the system to an application which has
1/2 to 1/4 the displacement that it had originally.  This is certainly going
to require some level of expertise in electronics and computers ...

There are motorcycles that come with EFI systems as well ... I've got a BMW
1000cc which uses a Motronic system, and I know that there are others.  I'm
sure that it would not be likely to be as inexpensive as would be likely
from an automotive wrecking yard, but it might be closer to what you'd need.

Another suggestion would be to start from the ground up.  There is an
associate project called EFI332, from which a system could be built to
control the fuel injection (and ignition for that matter) for your bike.
Here on this list in the past few weeks someone posted that they had created
a hardware-based EFI system that might be a good starting point as well.

I don't mean to dissuade you from your quest ... I've actually got an EFI332
kit I want to make work on my Beemer myself ... I just want to make sure you
have a clear idea about what you're getting yourself into before you start
spending any money ...

Have fun!
Steve Buchholz
San Jose, CA (USA)