Typical ignition timing response to throttle snap?

Espen Hilde mwichstr at online.no
Sun Sep 26 22:28:57 GMT 1999

> Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 00:49:35 EDT
> From: PHXSYS at aol.com
> Subject: Typical ignition timing  response to throttle snap?
>
> HI everyone
>
> I was wondering  what effect rapid throttle movement has on ignition
timing.

I have heard that some systems uses timing retard under sudden accleration
in turbo applications.The turbo needs time to speed up to deliver whats
required, doing so, it makes a higher exhaust backpressure on the
engine,than under steady state. The engine is more prone to detonations,
because of more exhaust
residuals /heat in the combustion chamber. One way to lover the detonation
tendencies is to lover the timing.