DIY_EFI Digest V4 #539

d houlton x0710 tc75918 at hprs9.msc.az.boeing.com
Mon Sep 27 22:53:14 GMT 1999

Jeff Martin wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone could point me towards a place that had info on
> Isuzu and its throttle body injection that they put on the 4ZE1.  I have a

The 4ZE1 never had throttle body injection.  It's a multi-port sequential
injection MAF system.

> 4ZD1 that I would like to get rid of the carburetor and put the
> aforementioned fuel injection system in my Trooper.  Did the intake manifold

You can, but you'll need the complete upper and lower intake manifold, throttle
body, the computer and wiring harness and all the misc. sensors (coolant temp,
TPS, MAF, O2, etc.)

The 4ZC1, 4ZD1 and 4ZE1 are all the same basic block so things like intake
and exhaust manifolds and accessories and brackets are interchangeable.
You'll need to make sure and change everything though to go from carb to
EFI and expect it to work right.

> change at all when they changed the fuel system because I was thinking that

Intake manifolds for the carb and EFI version are very different.

> I could just bolt the throttle body up and put a high pressure fuel pump on
> the line and figure out the wiring to make it work.  If anyone could help me

Best thing to do would be swap the tank as well and get the high pressure
pump and internal baffling the EFI version uses.

> I would thankful.  Also I have in mind a CJ-7 with a rebuilt engine but a
> tired carburetor that doesn't work the best.  I was wondering if the intake
> manifolds of the 4.0 liter high output engines of the Cherokees can bolt up
> to the block of the 4.2 liter.  I know I am asking a lot here but could you
> show me where I could find out this stuff.  The wiring harness in the CJ is
> worn out and I figured a total swap of the wiring harness would also happen.

I'm fairly certain it does.  The Mopar EFI kit for the 4.2 I've read is not
much more than the components used on the 4.0l engines packaged up for the
4.2.

--Dan
houlster at inficad.com
http://www.inficad.com/~houlster/amigo.htm