WPSLPGExhaust Gas Oxygen (EGO) sensor Information

Neil.Poersch at mts.mb.ca Neil.Poersch at mts.mb.ca
Fri Aug 4 16:47:10 GMT 2000

Great suggestion.   Now can anyone help out with how to read plugs?  I have
read Gordon Jennings' article on reading plugs and found it very useful.
But it isn't a substitute for real experience.

 Specifically I know that you can read a plug for things like WOT mixture,
ignition advance, heat range and so on.  My current project involves
playing with ignition advance.  Assuming that I have heat range and mixture
set properly and non-variable,  I am advancing/retarding the advance for
maximum power while retaining good driveability for a street machine.  The
experts say to watch for rounding of the sharp edges of the center
electrode, fuel deposits on the sides of the center electrode as well as
watch for salt and pepper flecks on the porcelain insulator.

My questions are:
Is a good high speed run ( speed limit + 10-15 mph) on a public road for 10
miles or so enough to produce any of these results?
Will fuel deposits form visible enough to read seriously in this amount of
time?
How can you distinguish detonation induced flecks on the porcelain from
fuel deposits or electrode erosion specks?

Any comments from someone who has done before would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Neil

Ain't any insecurity in saying to learn to walk before you try to run--as
in learn to read plugs before trying to use a sensor (an EGO or a HEGO)
<