Jeep Cherokee 1989 Engine Control

John Dammeyer johnd at autoartisans.com
Mon Aug 7 13:47:39 GMT 2000

Hi,

I have an 87 Cherokee and watched the service guys attach their
instrument to the two yellow connectors by the engine control unit.
They could even check how the transmission was working with it.  My
guess is that an 89 would also have this and more.  I looked into but
haven't confirmed yet that Canadian Tire has a handheld Engine
diagnostic codes engine analyzer that should work for at least the 89
year but I don't know about the 87.  If you can find a device that reads
the codes and engine status you are probably far further ahead than
trying to build it yourself.  It's kind of like stereos;  there is no
way you can build a Stereo amplifier for less money than what is
available form the stereo store.  Same with PCs...  I defy someone to
build an Pentium III motherboard as a hobbyist challenge and save money.

So if you can find it,  buy the aftermarket analyzer and use it observe
the engine performance. Then go play with the engine.  IMHO

John

> Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 23:34:22 -0700
> From: "Rita MacNeill" <paulrita at attcanada.ca>
> Subject: DIY-EFI References
>
> Would you have any information on the Jeep Cherokee 1989 Engine
Control =