FW: [h2k] CarTune looks like a cool project

Terry_Sare at Dell.com Terry_Sare at Dell.com
Tue Aug 15 17:40:57 GMT 2000

Something interesting

Terry

-----Original Message-----
From: GMontag [mailto:GMontag at dc2600.com]
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2000 2:13 PM
To: h2k at 2600.com
Subject: [h2k] CarTune looks like a cool project

I liked it so much that I signed up the first visit to Sourceforge!

If you have not heard about the GPL CarTune, check it out here:
http://sourceforge.net/project/?group_id=6532

"An extensible GPL'ed automobile tuning and diagnostics program. Similar
to FreeScan,
http://www.andywhittaker.com/ecu/ecu_software.htm, and LT1-Editor,
http://www.lt1.net/editor/."

Basically, every vehicle sold in the US has an Onboard Diastnostics
computer that provides TONS of info http://www.obdii.com/

If you build or purchase a cable, you can plug into an easy-access
socket on your vehicle and output to a serial connection on a computer.

The big problem right now is that all software to read the output is
closed source.  If we get something that works, anybody with a computer
can check the status of their vehicle systems.

It also reports speed, barometric pressure, intake air temp, etc.  Saw
some related website (forgot where it is now) with a home made heads-up
display using OBD output and red LEDs to shine speed on the windshield.

Montag