Calibrating MAP sensors was:Re: Calibrating MAF

Jeff Webb mustang at ufl.edu
Sun Aug 27 17:33:36 GMT 2000

Steven Ciciora wrote:
> If there realy any interest in calibrating MAP sensors, I have access to
> several different Baratron absolute pressure sensors.  Some of these cost
> well over $1,000, and are trusted better than a car will ever need.  If
> someone really wants a MAP sensor compared against a Baratron, let me
> know.  I'll be glad to do it.  I also have several used GM map sensors,
> like the ones in '89 chevy Berettas and Corsacas, and others I've pulled
> from junk yards that look similar.  Wouldn't take much more than a lunch
> time to do.

I might take you up on that sometime.  I've got a couple of Ford units
(5V square-wave frequency output), as well as a couple of GM's similar
to the ones you have.  The key would be to take the time to get a lot of
data, and get a couple samples of the same sensor if possible.  It would
also be most efficent to calibrate a bunch of sensors at once, stepping
through the pressure range.

Jeff