Do I need an Air Flow Meter?

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Mon Dec 4 23:09:06 GMT 2000

> You mention that I would probably need a sensor for barometric  pressure,
> air temp, and RPM.  The stock AirFlow Meter doesn't have any of this.

Doesn't have to, it's figuring mass

> I can see how one might argue that the difference between the engine vac
and
> the barametric pressure is what the AFM is measuring, so if this is
correct,
> I can see why I'd need the two pressure sensors.

Just too hard in my opion to get enough resolution in using just a MAP to do
it.
Hard to tell at times if your actually doing what ya seem to be doing
because of Baro.

> I can see where it would be NICE to know air temp, but my ECU doesn't seem
> to use it.  In lue of that, couldn't I just rely on the Ox sensor to
adjust
> fuel correctly?

If all you want is to run 14.7:1, or go for a wide band.

> Would simply tying a potentiometer (sp?) to the throttle linkage be enough
> to replace the AFM?

If all you want is a Alpha-N system..
Meaning figure AFR on throttle opening, and rpm.
Yes you can do that, and if that is all you use it will be border line to
even be able to drive some days.
there is a too min system that is too min
Bruce

> Otherwise, would I need a circuit much more complex than a MAF and an
OPamp?