DIY WBO2 Sensor circuit and EGT measurement

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Thu Dec 7 07:32:24 GMT 2000

John Dammeyer tapped away at the keyboard with:
> > From: Bernd Felsche <bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au>

> > Jörgen Karlsson tapped away at the keyboard with:
> > > I think that the obvious choice is to use a Atmel microcontroller,
> > > these are as inexpensive as the cheaper PICs and have the
> > > performance of the most expensive ones. They are made to be

> > My choice as well. You may have seen my proposed circuit at
> > http://members.iinet.net.au/~metapro/bernie/tech/EFI/vapour/DDL.html

> Your circuit is also a great start;  nice WEB page.  I have a
> Lawicel Startkit with two CANDIP processors here that have been
> looking for a project. (Check out  www.candip.com )  One of the
> projects was a 4 channel EGT sender on to CAN bus and the other
> would implement the WBO2 sensor.  I'm waiting for the C compiler
> to arrive and then some free time for creating the EGT sensor
> package.

I've just updated the web page again with even more information and
revised schematic. You might want to have a look and see how it's
possible to get a metric of exhaust gas temperature from the WBO2
sensor.

I've known about the CANDIP since I first started thinking about the
AVR-RISC as a microcontroller for engine sub-systems. CANDIP looks
like a handy thing to have around if you routinely want to talk to
other systems on a CAN bus taking much of the hard work out of
interfacing,

> The CANDIP processors also use the ATMEL device but include a
> SJA1000 CAN device and RS232 drivers, and as my Honda Aircraft
> Engine Ignition controller reports and gets diagnostic information
> via CAN it only makes sense for me to use that as the core
> processor.  With the CANDIP extended temperature is not an issue
> and since it has the ATMEL, CAN with driver and RS232 with driver
> all on a 28 pin DIP footprint it can be easily prototyped into a
> small weatherproof box.

Seems like you've found the right hardware platform.

> I will publish all software for the WBO2 sensor.

That'd be great.

--
 /"\  Bernd Felsche - Innovative Reckoning, Perth, Western Australia
 \ /      ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus!       |