Way to measure HP?

Fritz Moore fbmoore at ucdavis.edu
Sat Dec 9 18:16:35 GMT 2000

I've been doing some horsepower estimation using airflow and a portable
computer.  My problem was that the air vane meter I use goes wide open
early in the power curve so you have no scale above that.  I now have a hot
wire meter but haven't installed it yet.  this is how the majority of
horsepower estimates are done in humans and other living organisms were
metabolic capacity is of prime interest.  I like this method for cars
because it puts your air intake and intercooler in a real world situation
and you dont have to worry about the person calibrating the dyno.  Im sure
all superflow owners have had education in error analysis.  This method is
of course several steps reemoved from rear wheel output but if you just want
to look for improvement I think its great.  I also acquire RPM and 02 output
just to make certain I dont go lean.

Fritz