Speed Pro/ESC question

Jeff Moskovitz jeff_moskovitz at filemaker.com
Wed Dec 13 22:30:55 GMT 2000

Maybe not technically a DIY question, but close enough ;-)

Based upon the advice from some on this list and others, I picked up a
Speed Pro bank-to-bank/wideband O2 ECU for use on my turbocharged Toyota
4 banger. Got the unit last week, am picking up the engine this weekend,
and will be installing both over the next few weeks. I am very psyched!

Anyway, the Speed Pro uses a GM ESC module and knock sensor for knock
retard duties. The ECU has a one-wire input from the ESC -- not sure
which wire, as I'm not sure yet just how the ESC gets hooked up, but I
assume the ESC has something like a positive, ground, signal in, and
signal out, and it's this signal out that gets wired to the ECU.

I guess my questions are:

1) does anyone know what sort of input the Speed pro ECU is looking for
from the ESC unit?

2) just how "tuned" are the ESC unit/knock sensor combos? What Harry at
Precision Turbo is recommending is a mid-80's turbo Buick (V6) ESC
module, and this will be installed on a mid-80's Toyota turbo 4. These
engines have different acoustical characteristics, but maybe this isn't
too critical since the system is using mid-80's technology?

As always, I am appreciative of whatever input  anyone is willing to
share.

Jeff Moskovitz