Non EFI; turbo question

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Thu Dec 14 00:18:37 GMT 2000

Barry Tisdale tapped away at the keyboard with:

> Got a question on turbo engine intercooling, and don't know the
> proper resource to ask - I'm curious about using an air/liquid
> intercooler fluid much below 32°F.  Would freezing up be a problem
> say in a 15 second 1/4 mile run?

Depends very much on the temperature of air at entry to the cooler,
the respective rates of flow of coolant and air, as well as the
heat-exchanger characteristics. If the manufacturer of the heat
exchanger isn't able to provide you with heat-transfer
characteristics given the flow rates and temperatures, then you'll
have to measure it on a test rig.

Best bet is to go to the engineering section of a library and look
for heat exchanger text books. The liquid-air intercooler is just a
radiator "in reverse".

--
 /"\  Bernd Felsche - Innovative Reckoning, Perth, Western Australia
 \ /      ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus!       |