Electro valves

Tom Parker parkert at ihug.co.nz
Thu Feb 3 09:15:59 GMT 2000

mark koenig <mrkk at execpc.com> wrote:

>Carlo Putter wrote:
>>
>> Has anybody ever had an idea to manufacture a cam less machine. Well I've
>> got that dream, maybe somebody has tried it already.
>>
><snip>

>My two cents worth:
>Aren't we missing something?  If we do away with the camshaft, why not
>do away with the valves as we know them?  How about an Iris?  Or maybe
>some sort of sliding/rotating window?  Would seem to do away with the

There are old engines that did this. They had a rotating sleeve around
the cyclinder opening ports in it's walls. At least, I believe this is how it
works, I'm sure others can tell us the details.

I believe they are no longer made because they are difficult to make.

Tom Parker - parkert at ihug.co.nz
           - http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/8381/