Camless engine

Randall ryoung at navcomtech.com
Thu Feb 3 23:48:35 GMT 2000

Not quite camless, but I recall reading many years ago an article (in
Popular Mechanix ?) about a gentleman who had modified Pontiac's OHC in-line
6 with cam lobes that were tapered fore & aft, and a "flying ball" type
governor built into the cam gear that moved the cam fore & aft with varying
engine speed.  (This was long enough ago that the OHC engine was quite
unusual, but the in-line 6 was 'normal'.)  I don't recall the resultant
specs, but the improvement in both power and gas mileage was quite
impressive, especially considering the relatively limited scope of the mod
(stock carb, manifolds, exhaust, etc.).

Randall