Nicasil plating of (steel) cylinder bores...

Jörgen Karlsson jurg at pp.sbbs.se
Fri Feb 4 20:37:55 GMT 2000

Hi

With all this talk of the vega engines I came to think about the technology
used on dirtbike engines. An aluminum bore plated with nicasil, whatever
that is, it was many years since I played with bikes. Can that be done to a
steel bore, I remember that is was supposed to make the heat transfer better
or maybe that was because of the aluminum bore.

I know that there was almost no wear on the bores, I think that I have the
25th set of piston and rings or so in my old dirt bike and it has never had
any work done to the cylinder bore. There is (was?) a place here in sweden
that could apply a new plating if the bore had to be machined to an over
dimension. I also remember that some place fitted steel bores in the
cylinders and if you used that aproach different piston rings had to used
and all of a sudden you also had cylinder wear.

I had a KTM 4 stroke dirt bike that also had nicasil plating and that bike
had no measured wear after 20000+ miles. That includes the piston!

Jörgen Karlsson
Gothenburg, Sweden.