Injector Drivers.

Gordon Brogan bro at bc.sympatico.ca
Sat Feb 5 02:32:07 GMT 2000

Hi,

I am not on your email list but have been following along via the
archives and this is my first email to the group.

I have an EA-81 1800cc Subaru flat four engine that I will be installing
in an aircraft. I already have one flying great with an old Holley 1920
S.B. carb but I would like to eventually like to go EFI.

I will be running two processors - one as a backup !. My background is
assembly language programming and hardware so I am conversant with
electronics etc. I already have a 8032 processor running on the bench as
an ECU and another 8032 simulating the engine. The engine simulator puts
out tdc pulses and responds to throttle inputs..also is very quiet! all
works great on the bench....ha!

I have a few questions. On aircraft, unlike a car the engine always has
a constant known load vs RPM this aspect makes things simpler for the
ECU also throttle changes are very gradual. In aircraft the engine
usually runs most of the time at 3/4 of full power.

I would like advise on the minimum number of sensors required. I would
like to just use a MAP sensor and RPM level. I will also a atmospheric
sensor for altitude compensation. Is it possible to run with just this
or will I also need a TPS sensor? My reasoning is, if the cpu knows the
RPM and the MAP it knows the engine load and the fuel feed can be
derived from look up tables I generate.

Also what are you folks using for injector drivers, the injectors I have
are low impedance Bosch type. The archives indicate all kinds of
problems getting Cherry drivers etc.

Thanks in advance for any help, Gordon.

P.S. Please respond to the list and I can read it off the archives.