Electrohydraulic Camless Valves

John Carroll jcarr at cyberhighway.com
Sun Feb 6 19:03:43 GMT 2000

The November 1996 issue of MACHINE DESIGN magazine
has a article about a Ford run at a camless engine.  The valve
actuation is by means of hydraulic pulses piloted by small
electric solenoids.  The scheme is complete with hydraulic
energy recovery at the end of the valve strokes to keep the
power requirements down and to damp the action of the valves.

Ford's system seems to identify the concerns that will have to
be addressed in any successful camless system.  The design
is elegantly straightforward, but not one I would have come up
with in a life time.

I could not find my copy of the magazine or find a path to it on
the MACHINE DESIGN website.  The magazine should be
archived in any engineering library, but I do not have access to
one.  Perhaps some one with access could sneak a scan of the
article to those who are interested.  Ford allowed it to be
published once.  They may have it on line.

John Carroll

John Carroll
jcarr at cyberhighway.net