ECU7 PCB layout

Al Lipper alipper at cardozo.org
Mon Feb 7 17:58:15 GMT 2000

Dominic,
	You have some good questions.  First, the gerber files specify the width of
each trace and pad as an aperture.  This means that the outlines you are
getting is a result of some setting in the gerber viewer you are using, and
not in the file itself (I tried the file with two other viewers and traces
were filled).  Next, there are a number of errors on the PC board.  First,
look at the new schematic for changes to the optoisolator circuits, fuel
pump driver, stepper motor enable and the orientation of the DB-25 connector
(P-2).  Next, there is an erroneous short between two traces going to the
driver transistor for injector #1 (Q1, I believe).  This trace should be
eliminated.  Next, on the CPU board, there is a problem with the RD and WR
lines being connected together and run as a single trace to the support
chips.  The schematic is correct, but OrCAD did something unusual when it
created the netlist, so these were incorrectly indicated as a single
circuit.  Also, the holes for the inter-board connector (P1) are slightly
small.  Otherwise, the boards are overall correct.  BTW, all of the ground
signals do get connected together at one point.  Also, I am using an 18"
ribbon cable between the boards with no problem.  Over the next month or so,
we'll be revising them.  In the meantime, these corrections should take care
of most major issues.   BTW, I have a pair of them running relatively well
at the moment.   Good luck.

			Al